Want to improve the sound quality of your speakers? Are the vibrations from your monitors starting to annoy you?
Well, maybe it’s time to get yourself some monitor isolation pads!
I’ve come up with a list of some of my favorites for you to check out!
Adam Hall SPAD ECO 2
Monitor Isolation Pads To Use For Your Home Set-Up
1. IsoAcoustics ISO-PUCK: Best Overall Product
- Isolation stand type
- Best for floor stands, desktops, and mounts
- Suction design for stability
The ISO-PUCK series from IsoAcoustics is one of the best monitor isolation stands on the market right now… and for GOOD REASON!
The ISO-PUCKs have a UNIQUE DESIGN that works well in direct contact with any sound support equipment.
Walkthrough of Features
The product AMPLIFIES the typical foam pad and easily projects sound, making it perfect even for professional recording studios.
The IsoAcoustics ISO-PUCK is my best overall product BECAUSE of the advantages you can get out of it.
The following features are my absolute FAVORITES:
- Patented IsoAcoustics Soundproofing. The product’s design is PATENTED, meaning that you can expect this quality from the ISO-PUCK!
- Surface Support. The ISO-PUCK provides the ultimate support by keeping away sympathetic vibrations to eliminate dissonance.
- Of course, it does this by optimizing its SURFACE CONTACT.
- Natural Spatial Sound. The ISO-PUCK reduces internal reflections for better soundproofing.
- This results in a MORE NATURAL-SOUNDING ENVIRONMENT.
All of these features are tied together by its excellent overall design.
So How Exactly Does Its DESIGN Improve Sound?
The ISO-PUCK has SOFT RUBBER DISCS at the top and bottom of the Puck. These are slightly concave and form into SUCTION CUPS when in use.
- Upper Cup. This is designed to ADHERE to the surface of the equipment… it’s what gives the Puck its suction cup effect.
- Lower Isolator. This is what anchors to the supporting surface for added stability. It’s what prevents the Puck from sliding off the flat mounting surface.
The Pucks are also SMALL and COMPACT enough to provide quick soundproofing solutions. You’d be surprised by how much they can withstand the heavier monitors and heavy weights!
That said, it is also worth noting that the ISO-PUCK comes in THREE MODELS to suit your specific needs (with different weight capacities and dimensions).
For reference, the REGULAR version has the following features:
- Dimensions: 2.4 x 1.2 inches
- Weight Capacity: 20 lbs per unit
- Quantity: 2 units per box
You can use these isolators to decouple studio monitors and speakers against any flat surface.
What’s the Catch?
For all of its quality control and amazing features, the IsoAcoustics ISO-PUCKS, unfortunately, do not have tilt options.
You simply cannot configure height adjustment for better monitor accuracy.
Nonetheless, this disadvantage is still not enough to take away from it being one of the BEST monitor isolation pads on the market right now.
- Affordable and convenient to carry around
- Easy to set-up
- Ideal quality soundproofing
- No angle tilt options
2. Auralex ProPAD: Best Value Product
- Foam pad type
- Best for medium-size studio monitors and surround sound systems
- Compatible in upward tilt positions
- Slip-resistant and structurally stable
The Auralex ProPAD is my best value pick because of the PREMIUM UPGRADES offered at an affordable price!
The ProPAD is an upgrade from the original best starters, the Auralex MoPADs.
That said, you can just IMAGINE the acoustic environment that you can get from this new and improved version through the ProPAD.
Simply put, it’s nothing short of GREAT.
Walkthrough of Features
Right off the bat, the ProPAD’s quality monitor isolation is exactly what you would expect from a product of this caliber.
You are GUARANTEED these improvements when using the Auralex speaker pads:
- Durability. The ProPAD is built with an open-celled PlatFoam, a prodcut of design changes from the original Auralex MoPAD.
- Protection. The ProPAD guarantees better proofing of vibrations, improving SOUND QUALITY from previous designs.
- Compatibility. The ProPAD offers better quality support for SURROUND SOUND SYSTEMS and monitors.
These all reflect the great flexibility of Auralex products, which is important now that surrounds are taking over households.
And as mentioned, these features all mesh together thanks to its thoughtful and intuitive DESIGN!
So How Exactly Does Its DESIGN Improve Sound?
The ProPAD is a 13 x 8 inch product composed of THREE HIGHLY DAMPED LAYERS:
- BASE LAYER. This is a flat Auralex PlatFoam melamine-wrapped MDF base layered with rubber and foam for stabilization.
- FOAM WEDGE. This layer aims to provide BETTER ANGLING applications for the ProPAD.
- TOP LAYER. This is a slip-resistant ISO plate that prevents slippage and INCREASES ACOUSTIC ISOLATION.
These layers provide proofing from the vibrations and resonance against your studio monitors!
- This effect is thanks to the MDF material that provides structural support in the ProPAD’s base.
More importantly, the wedge placed at the bottom allows for UPWARD TILTS without needing to REVERSE the pads!
This is a HUGE improvement from the original MoPADs.
You can likewise get a 19 x 13 inch ProPAD XL version to suit your needs better. This is already more than enough for two monitors.
What’s the Catch?
The only disadvantage of the ProPAD is its PRICE.
It may be in the higher price range among the products on this list, sure.
BUT! You are guaranteed the highest quality setup for your speakers and monitor soundproofing.
- Great soundproofing quality
- Compatible with different speaker types
- Angling support
- Expensive price
3. Adam Hall SPAD ECO 2: Best Budget Product
- Isolation pad type
- Best for studio monitors and woofers
- Three angles of inclination
The SPAD ECO 2 from Adam Hall offers high-density acoustic foam at an AFFORDABLE PRICE.
It is our best budget pick for your monitor because its performance can rival those offered at higher price points.
Walkthrough of Features!
The SPAD ECO 2 eliminates resonance at a reasonable cost.
It achieves so much with its SIMPLE AND SLEEK DESIGN. Features that I absolutely LOVE from this are the following:
Isolation Pads for Studio Monitors
These consist of TWO FOAM PARTS: the BASE and the WEDGE.
The WEDGE is positioned inside the base, depending on the angle that you want:
- First Variant. You can position your wedge PARALLEL to the exterior.
- Second Variant. You can REMOVE the wedge to tilt your monitors downwards. This is useful if your devices are ABOVE EAR LEVEL.
- Third Variant. You can position your wedge UPSIDE DOWN to increase the angle even more.
Each part is made of dense foam that helps absorb the vibration from the speaker stands.
High-Density Acoustic Foam
The SPAD ECO 2 boasts:
- Foam Density: 38 kg/m
- Dimensions: 10.4 x 13 x 1.6 inches
These features allow the effective CUSHIONING of equipment while being set up on a flat desk surface.
The Adam Hall guarantees great equipment compatibility! Its SHAPE allows it to accommodate a wide range of reference monitors, gears, stands, and many others.
What’s the Catch?
Some users complain about workmanship.
The wedges are sometimes said to not be cleanly cut and produced… and though it can go unnoticed, it’s still worth noting!
However, this does not change the AMAZING QUALITY and VALUE you get from using the SPAD ECO 2.
- Simple and sleek design
- Universal compatibility
- Workmanship issues
4. Sound Addicted High Density Studio Monitor Isolation Pads
- High-density acoustic foam
- Best for 5″ monitors
- Multiple configurations for angle support
Another affordable alternative that I’m throwing in the mix is Sound Addicted’s product!
This provides a decent solution for recording and producing low-end frequencies in your environment.
So What’s Great About It?
Sound Addicted incorporates FIVE ANGLE CONFIGURATIONS into this product… it’s the most out of all the pads on this list!
With its dimensions of 7.5 x 11 x 1.6 inches, these pads can also be conveniently positioned at ear level.
Additionally, it has a SLEEK DESIGN that can support classic monitors like the Yamaha HS8 and KRK Rokit.
What’s the Catch?
Other users complain about the pads not completely getting rid of vibrations.
While the sound may be already of quality, you may still be able to FEEL the sound out of your monitors.
- Multiple tilt options
- Quality foam
- Vibrations can still be felt and observed
How to Choose Monitor Isolation Pads
Your choice of speaker pads MATTERS.
That said, there are THREE MAIN FACTORS that I think are essential when making the right choice:
- Type of Pad
- Foam Quality
- Size and Supported Weight
Let’s briefly go over each one!
1. Types of Pads
The type of pad differs in FORM and MECHANISM.
While they all work well, there will ALWAYS be one that will suit your needs the most.
These are the MOST POPULAR DECOUPLING ACCESSORIES because of their affordability.
In a nutshell, this is how foam pads work:
- Uses more ABSORPTION features
- Utilizes the EMPTY AIR PACKETS between their webbed fibers
- Oscillates their fibers when sympathetic vibrations pass through
This converts the kinetic energy into HEAT. By cutting down on contact points, these foams are able to ABSORB VIBRATIONS.
Thus, they are able to cut down on transmit vibrations quite a bit.
Some also incorporate a steel plate in between their pads for design AND better soundproofing. This steel plate acts as a secondary coupling surface.
Isolation stands ABSORB and DECOUPLE.
This type of pad REDUCES the points of contact into smaller circles or squares. It’s how they restrict the vibrations that pass through them!
They are also able to ABSORB well as they convert vibrations to heat.
Essentially, these are foam pads but SMALLER and GREATER IN DEPTH.
This type reduces points of contact even further into almost nearly NOTHING.
They work by embedding a ball bearing at the tip of the cones that come in contact with your monitors This tip is placed in contact with your equipment to receive vibrations!
Decoupling cones are among the MOST POWERFUL and best monitor isolation pads. You just need to sacrifice a bit of your convenience and ease of set-up.
2. Foam Quality
Not all pads are the same:
- Some products have MORE padding than others.
- Likewise, some equipment would have LESS padding than others
Really, it depends on the type of equipment you plan to isolate sound from!
My one piece of advice for you should it come to this is to: know your equipment. Only YOU know what you need, so only YOU know what to look for.
3. Surface Size and Supported Weight
Similarly, the best monitor isolation pads are those that FIT your monitors.
To achieve the ultimate support for your equipment, find the following:
- Right Size. Make sure that your monitors fit within the bounds of your pads. At the same time, they should be large enough to evenly space out your stands and cones.
- Right Weight Capacity. If the size is right, the weight capacity will be right as well.
Feel free to measure the base of your studio monitors and ensure that your pads FIT those dimensions.
You can likewise look for the ultimate support for good height adjustment.
Check out my guide on affordable studio monitors!
Are Speaker Isolation Pads Necessary?
YES! These pads are CRUCIAL for your audio environment.
Vibration flowing from a speaker cabinet to your flat desk results in RESONANCE. This clouds the accuracy of your speakers and bass response.
Using acoustic isolation pads prevents this by DAMPENING AND ABSORBING the vibration energy from your monitors.
How Do I Use Monitor Isolation Pads?
Normally, you would need to place two or more pads under each monitor.
This would mostly depend on the TYPE of pads you’re using:
- If you are using foam pads: make sure that your monitors are EVENLY placed on top
- If you are using stands or cones: make sure to SPREAD THEM OUT for stability and to prevent a less established contact point
Either way, you need to ensure that your accessories are ALL laid flat on your desk.
Can I Make DIY Home Studios With My Isolation Pads?
Who said you need to spend on EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT for your bookshelf loudspeakers, monitor stands, and various studio gear?
You can simply build your own soundproofing pads using materials you’d easily find at home:
- Mouse pads
- Old foam pads (from hard drives, cymbal stands, etc.)
- Pencil erasers
- Rubber balls
These are just some of the things you’d need!
If you find something that exhibits padding and absorption features, odds are those can be used as alternatives, too.
How Can I Properly Maintain and Clean My Monitor Isolation Pads?
- Clean your monitor isolation pads regularly with a microfiber cloth or a soft-bristled brush to remove dust and debris.
- If the speaker isolation pads are particularly dirty, you can use a mild detergent and warm water to clean them. Be sure to rinse thoroughly and allow the isolation pads to dry completely before using them again.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials to clean the pads, as these can damage the surface or reduce their effectiveness.
The best monitor isolation pads are the ones that are best for YOU.
- Choose the IsoAcoustics ISO-PUCK for convenience, user flexibility, AND the best quality.
- Choose the Auralex ProPAD if you are after the premium upgrades and exclusive deals from Auralex.
- Choose the Adam Hall SPAD ECO 2 if you want a high-density acoustic foam at an affordable price
Just remember that before purchase, make sure that you MEASURE and LEARN MORE about your monitors and speakers, too!