Let’s break down what could very well be the king of all 25 key midi controllers for Ableton users, newby beat makers, or producers who are looking for a midi travel companion.
In this Novation Launchkey 25 Mk2 review, we are going to break down why this backpack sized push button controller is jam packed with value for money.
The big brother of the Novation Launchkey 25 now comes equipped with a massive bundle of extras that novation have thrown in to sweeten the deal and cut through the noise of the constantly growing midi controller market.
Basically if you’re a producer who uses Ableton Live already as your DAW of choice, or just getting started and looking for the best controller to kick off your beat making and producing career, then keep reading as the team at Bpm Skills dig deep and check out the pros and cons of this little bedroom and backpack midi beast.
Novation Launchpad 25 Keys
In-control will take some getting use to, much like switching from android to IOS but the power and speed you gain once you crack the code will allow you to record, launch, create and capture loops, while keep your hands on the controller at all times.
Novation have thought of everything when it comes to making the Launchkey series compatible with Ableton.
All of the 16 RGB pads are backlit with individual colors that are matched with the screen, so that you can correspond the color of the track that you are controlling with your hands to the color of the clip channel that you are monitoring on your screen.
This is a great visual tool for live and studio music creation, allowing you to concentrate on the making music apposed to getting lost in the DAW and all the moving parts that go into making electronic based music.[/su_box]
Its pretty obvious by now that this is a great midi controller that works with all of the main Digital Workstations, but has been created mainly for Ableton Live producers.
So what do we suggest? Well if you’re just starting out and you have not yet purchased your first DAW then this is a no brainer for me.
This is a well made midi controller, that is packed with pads, faders and encoders.
To be honest with all the free software, samples and instant connectivity Ableton (Ableton Live Lite 9 come free shipped with this product)
I would suggest this as the go starter kit for anyone looking to get into making beats and creating electronic music.
Even with the Lite version of Ableton, someone new to music production could get totally immersed in all of the capabilities for Ableton Lite and the Launchkey 25 mk2 offer for months before needing to upgrade to the full version of Ableton Suite.
All you need is a laptop a set of headphone and you have a seriously powerful piece of hardware and software with out breaking the bank.
The Launchkey 25 is no a toy and is a great option for your studio if you have limited real estate and you’re in the market for a small portable midi controller.
The launchkey gives you the power of In-control to navigate Ableton and the jam out ideas from the controller’s faders, knobs and transport features.
If you’re not a dedicated Ableton user, we have created a list of comparable 25 key midi controllers that also include assignable pads and faders that might better suite your producing style and genre.
- Novation LAUNCHKEY-25-MK2 25-Key USB MIDI Ableton Live Lite Keyboard Controller. Designed for Ableton Live- All controls work immediately and can be freely reassigned. Full color RGB pads match the color of your clips. All 16 pads are velocity-sensitive for creating dynamic drum beats. Tweak your instruments and effects using eight rock solid knobs. The 25-note velocity-sensitive synth-style keyboard is lightweight, fast, and very easy to play..
- Rockville RMM-XLR Dynamic Microphone. Professional 10 FT XLR Cable Included. Steel Mesh Grill. On/Off Switch. Rugged Metal Construction. Natural Sound Reproduction. Beautiful Black Finish (The perfect combination of matte and shiny black finish). Frequency Response: 50Hz-15kHz. Super Cardiod Polar Pattern. Impedance 600 Ohm ±5%. Sensitivity -60dB ± 3dB (0dB=1V/Pa at 1KHz).
- The Rockville RMM-XLR is designed with the professional performer in mind. The RMM-XLR has excellent vocal reproduction and will sound great whether you are in the studio or on stage. The RMM-XLR is constructed with solid metal to ensure reliability.
- Samson SR350 Over Ear Closed Back Studio Reference Monitoring Stereo Headphones . Lightweight design ideal for music recording, practice and listening. Powerful audio performance. Over-ear, closed back design with cushioned ear cups. 35mm drivers with rare earth magnets. Adjustable padded headband. 20Hz–20kHz frequency range. 1/4" adapter included.
- Ear Bud Upgrade: The SR350s are a solid introduction to the superior audio quality provided by over-ear headphones. They make an excellent gift for the music lovers still using their supplied smartphone ear buds.