I know the struggle of picking the best bookshelf speakers for your home. Trust me, it’s not easy.
The good thing is that Edifier has got you covered!
This review offers the BEST and SIMPLEST analysis of these popular classic bookshelf speakers: the Edifier R1700BT vs R1280DB.
These two speakers are guaranteed HIGH-QUALITY products that will not empty your wallet. I guarantee it.
Want to know which one is for you? Let’s check it out!
Edifier R1700BT Overview
The Edifier R1700BT bookshelf speaker offers these AMAZING features:
- Bluetooth Connectivity – This bookshelf speaker connects to your phone, tablet, computer, TV, or any other Windows device wirelessly. This makes it completely HASSLE-FREE to work with.
- Dual Auxiliary Input & Dual RCA Output – You can connect two cords AT THE SAME TIME from your other wired devices. This dual output saves you the hassle and headache of plugging and unplugging when needing to use multiple cords.
- Remote Control – This has input, volume control, and power buttons you can click from a distance. You have more time to focus on your movie without needing to stand and walk just to adjust your speaker manually!
- Class D Amplifier System – ALL-IN-ONE. You won’t ever need bulky amplifiers that take up space because this speaker is all you need. The R1700BT may be compact, but its built-in amplifier system doesn’t hold back on its volume. What more do you need?
- Four Midrange Drivers – Each speaker is equipped with a 4-inch woofer, a treble driver, and a 0.75-inch silk dome tweeter. This gives you that high sound quality without raising your electricity bill.
- Cables – All cables are included so you can skip that extra step and cost of buying new ones.
- Power Output – The total power output is 66 watts, specifically 15W×2 for the dome tweeter and 18W×2 for the mid-bass driver.
- Convenient and easy to use
- High-quality features
- All cables included
- No optical and digital coaxial inputs
- More expensive than R1280DB
Edifier R1280DB Overview
The Edifier R1280DB is one of the MOST AFFORDABLE options for a good bookshelf speaker.
Here are some of its excellent features that are sure to excite the audiophile in you!
- Bluetooth Connectivity – Similar to its competitor model, the R1280DB also comes with Bluetooth connectivity, allowing you to wirelessly connect iOS and Windows devices.
- Dual RCA Inputs – This speaker comes with dual RCA inputs for both Lines 1 and 2.
- Remote Control – This speaker also comes with a remote control that offers volume and toggle inputs for bass and treble control.
- Four Midrange Drivers – The R1280DB promises you a STUDIO SOUND QUALITY with its 4-inch bass driver and 13mm silk dome tweeter. Upgrade your Spotify listening sessions with this speaker’s naturally fine-tuned sound quality.
- Optical and Coaxial Inputs – Enable LOSSLESS CONNECTION with these optical and coaxial inputs. Has the mood ever been ruined because of a crappy speaker that produces even crappier audio? I’ve been there. Fortunately, the R1280DB solves this problem!
- Power Output – The total power output for this speaker is 42 watts, specifically 21W+21W RMS for the right speaker and left.
- Cheaper than R1700BT
- Wireless and Bluetooth connectivity
- Smaller sized silk dome tweeter
Edifier R1700BT vs R1280DB: Performance Breakdown
Build and Design
The Edifier R1700BT and R1280DB share these similarities:
- 100% Solid MDF Wood Housing. Both speakers are made with high-quality plywood that is designed to minimize acoustic resonance and audio distortion.
- Recessed Control Panel on the Right Speaker. Both speakers have a recessed control panel where all the control knobs are. The right speaker’s volume, inputs, bass, and treble control buttons are accessible and easy to use.
- Front Facing Bass Driver. These bass-reflex drivers highlight a low-frequency range that gives the speakers a more powerful bass.
- Bass Relief Port. Audio distortion is further minimized through the bass port. This bass relief feature is definitely great for people who love listening to loud music.
When it comes to differences, the Edifier R1700BT comes with these unique features in its design:
- Size. This bookshelf speaker is slightly larger than the R1280DB with a size of 154mm x 254mm x 214mm. It’s slightly larger yes, but it comes with the promise of MORE ACOUSTIC VOLUME.
- Style. Edifier surely made time for designing this speaker, and it shows. The R1700BT is constructed with a 10-degree angle that is eye-catching with a PURPOSE. This angle specifically directs the sound to you, so you get a more in-depth experience whether you’re listening to music or watching a movie.
- Colors. This speaker comes in three colors: dark natural wood, black stained wood, and white.
- Drivers. This speaker includes a 4inch woofer and a 19mm silk dome tweeter.
Meanwhile, the Edifier R1280DB design offers these features:
- Size. The R1280DB is slightly smaller, with a its size of 146mm x 234mm x 196mm. This might be the better choice for you if you have a tighter shelf space.
- Style. Unlike the R1700BT, the R1280DB has a more classic and sleek look. It doesn’t come at an angle. Rather, it is upright with slightly rounded corners.
- Colors. This speaker also comes in three colors: light natural wood, black stained wood, and white.
- Drivers. This speaker includes the same 4inch woofer, but with a smaller 13mm dome tweeter.
The R1700BT may come with a more unique design, but the R1280DB has better build quality.
The R1280DB is compact, simple, and upright. For people with tighter spaces on their shelves and tables, the R1280DB is sure to fit.
I’ve also found that more people prefer the walnut wood effect vinyl of the R1280DB as it is easier on the eyes and blends in better as a piece of furniture.
Ease of Use
Both bookshelf speakers come with a remote control that is pretty similar to the other.
With these remote controls, you can control volume, power, mute/unmute, bass, and treble buttons, and switch input sources from the comfort of your couch.
The remote control for the R1700BT has an additional function of placing the speaker in low power consumption mode, while the R1280DB can activate playback.
Both speakers have a Bluetooth feature for hassle-free and LOSSLESS connection, so you can enjoy your viewing experience without wires messing up the place.
I’ve found this most useful for freeing up space and clearing up clutter around the house.
The back panel for both speakers is pretty similar.
You can find the left speaker out, dual RCA and aux input (including a 3.5mm headphone jack), the power switch, and the 240V power cord.
The only difference is the optical and coax input present in the R1280DB, which the R1700BT does not have.
For the R1700BT, ALL CABLES ARE INCLUDED. These cables include:
- 4′ RCA to RCA cable
- 4′ 3.5mm to RCA cable
- 16-foot/5-meter speaker cable
Let’s face it.
Both bookshelf speakers are USER-FRIENDLY. Both have the best features that are EFFICIENT and CONVENIENT.
But! The winner for this round is the R1700BT because of its more updated features.
Also, the fact that all cables are included? I’m SOLD!
The ideal signal-to-noise ratio is 80 dB, and both the R1700BT and R1280DB have even MORE than that!
Both speakers have a ratio of ≥85dBA, so you definitely won’t have to worry about annoying buzzing sounds or feedback.
After all, Hearing static while someone is speaking can be very annoying.
That said, THE ANSWER IS QUITE SIMPLE. All you need is a speaker with a good signal-to-noise ratio.
The HIGHER the number, the BETTER the speaker!
This means that there is more useful audio (the signal), than the noise floor or the static (the noise).
Have you ever heard something so clear and crisp that it’s cathartic?
When you watch a movie and you hear the tiniest droplet of rain? When you play music and you hear the faintest hum?
A good frequency range can give you just that.
A good frequency range means BETTER gaming, BETTER movie watching, and BETTER music streaming.
This has been the case in my experience and the experience of countless others.
Between the two speakers, the R1700BT offers a frequency response of 60Hz-20kHz, while the R1280DB offers a wider range of 55Hz-20kHz.
There is a slight difference, but both are just EXCELLENT.
Both speakers have little sound overlap for the drivers which makes the audio fuller and more balanced.
But the winner for this is the R1700BT because it has by far sound quality overall and better treble output.
The vocals and instruments sound more natural and the bass sound quality was more pleasing to the ears.
R1280DB doesn’t fall short though
I’ve noticed that it has a thinner sound quality, but the volume is good. There is no sub-bass kick, but the treble is crisp.
The R1280DB is my best budget pick!
It is the CHEAPEST high-quality option for bookshelf speakers. You can get one yourself for only $149.99.
The R1700BT which is the more expensive option costs $179.99, but let me tell you, that additional $30 is WORTH IT.
You’ll be saving so much more since that $30 would have been $50 for other brands (especially with all the upgrades you’ll be getting from R1280DB).
In fact, some people who started with R1280DB and upgraded with the R1700BT testified that it was “worth spending for” and that “they’ll never go back”.
So if you’ve got a few extra bucks, I certainly recommend the R1700BT!
Frequently Asked Questions
Where Are Edifier Speakers Made?
Edifier speakers are made in Shenzhen, China.
All the high-quality components are also acquired in China.
Does the Edifier R1700BT Need an Amp?
No, the R1700BT DOES NOT need an amp because it already has an integrated class D amplifier with digital signal processing and acoustic lens which help amplify sound.
Isn’t this speaker so great?
The R1700BT is ALL-IN-ONE indeed, saving you cash and the hassle.
What exactly is Digital Signal Processing & Dynamic Range Control? How does it work?
Well, it works thanks to Digital Signal Processing (DSP) and the Dynamic Range Control (DRC) integrated into its amp system.
This DSP is the “brain” that manipulates digital inputs resulting in higher volumes WITHOUT distortion.
To put it simply, DSP + DRC = volume + no input distortion
Is Edifier R1280DB an Active Speaker?
Yes, the R1280DB is an ACTIVE SPEAKER.
What is an active speaker? Let me break it down.
An active speaker has an integrated amplifier.
A passive speaker does not. These need to be connected to an external amplifier power through a speaker wire.
Which is better to use?
I definitely recommend active speakers for casual use at home!
They function just as well without taking up much space on shelves and tables. You can save costs as well since there is no need for external amplifiers and additional wires.
Final Verdict: Which Speaker is Better?
After examining both audio devices, I conclude that you can get either, depending on your specific needs. Here is a quick breakdown of both devices.
I recommend the Edifier R1700BT if you want:
- Great sound quality – It has a more natural and fuller audio with better bass sounds and treble range. You’ll definitely be paying for high-range clarity.
- Those extra cables – Extra cables mean less expense for you, so we recommend this speaker if you prefer this addition to your purchase.
- Unique angled design. Get this speaker if you want its eye-catching angled design. It also helps give you a better audio experience overall.
I recommend the Edifier R1280DB if you want:
- The cheaper option – If you’re on a tight budget or a beginner, we recommend this speaker. The R1280DB is cheaper, but no worries since it still offers quality.
- Optical and coax inputs – I recommend this speaker if you have a use for these digital inputs.
- The classic and sleek design – If the angled design of the R1700BT doesn’t appeal to you, I recommend this speaker. Its classic and sleek design is sure to appeal to you and match well with your home.
So who wins between the Edifier R1280Db vs. Edifier R1700BT?
I’ve chosen the Edifier R1700BT as the better speaker system because its features have a significant advantage if you’re aiming for a fuller and rich sound.
That doesn’t mean I do not recommend the R1280DB since it also packs quite the punch.
Whichever you prefer, you’ll SURELY be able to stream music, watch movies, and play games with clear sound quality with these bookshelf speakers.
December 5, 2022 – minor formatting edits